Leigh Lunas from Philippines Flying Labs shares about their three main activities since their official launch as well as their upcoming projects:
- Drones for Marine Conservation: In August 2018, Philippines FL demonstrated to local community leaders of Malapascua Island, RAMPH volunteers and NGO Sharklink, how to operate drones for aerial mapping and its importance in planning, disaster risk, and marine conservation.
- Drones for Disaster Resilience: Typhoon Magkhut devastated the northern part of Luzon. Crops were destroyed before harvest season. Philippines Flying Labs visited damaged areas and conducted an aerial survey.
- Drone 101 Training: The workshop was held last November 2018 covered basic drone mechanics, safety rules, and regulations of drone flying required by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines.
- Upcoming projects:
- Fault and Landslide Mapping in Central Luzon, in coordination with the University of the Philippines and Resilience Institute (UP RI)
- Fly a Drone Education Program for Local Youth
Abdelaziz Lawani from Benin Flying Labs presents:
- Their main supporting organizations
- Results of a nation-wide survey of drone users conducted in Benin and their analysis
- Several workshops with different stakeholders in the industry
- Drone Pilot Certification Program
- Digital image classification project: Machine learning and drone for urban planning
- Using drones to engage students in STEM Education
- Improving agricultural productivity with drones project: Supporting Pineapple Producers in Ze
- Upcoming projects:
- Tourism promotion in North Benin
- Drone Academy
- Protected Areas Management
- Data for Climate Change Mitigation
- Farmers Field School
Tinah Mutabazi from Uganda Flying Labs gives a general introduction to their Flying Labs, shares about their main activities, training, and future projects.
- Response to the Bududa Landslides: The team, collected aerial geolocated photos of the affected area, generated orthophotos for building damage assessment, and captured video footage.
- Training: Uganda Flying Labs organized seven introductory training sessions, one Intermediate training, another training in conjunction with UNHCR and Office of Prime Minister for Refugee Camps analysis to produce risk maps.
- Upcoming project: Raintree farm project